Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Extreme Workspace Makeover

With the new year, I have been so motivated to get my workspace in order. It has gradually become a giant monster that has taken over my kitchen dining room. It has been something that I try to hide and am embarassed of when people come over. Most of all there are so many things that I use that are dangerous (scissors, pins, needles, etc) and it is a constant battle to keep my 17 month old's hands off of everything.
Every time my sister comes to visit she is compelled to organize my workspace, which kind of got me thinking it was time to make a drastic change.  Plus with Pinterst and a page I found on Facebook called Embroidery Room Rehab I got some great ideas and decided to go for it!

Sooo as much as I am embarrased to show this, here are some before pictures
I know, I know it looks like a rat's nest.

This is most of my fabric that is actually sorted out inside, if you can believe that.

The monstrosity of my main table, with a hint or organizing supplies in the back.

So, first thing we did was "make" a pegboard. I use the word make in the loosest of terms. I just bought a large poster frame and cut the painted pegboard to fit the frame.
Because the picture frame itself is really just decorative, we wanted to make sure it would hold all of my supplies. So, we drilled a four 2" x 6" pieces of wood to each corner using the holes in the pegboard. You can barely see the screws on each corner. Then, we attached the hanging hardware and there ya go! Awesome new pegboard!
I used an old curtain rod to attach my ribbon and the handy little magnetic tool holder is going to be used a TON!

On to the monster table...

I decided to push the table over so I could actually have some room in here and WOW what a difference it makes.


And there you have it, my woman cave is complete!

5 comments:

  1. Looks great!! I need to get mine in order, it's a disaster...not enough storage space just yet, but I'm working on that. I saw some great tutorials on pinterest for making fabric baskets...think I might give that a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps: I might have to steal your peg board idea...

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes and I have seen diaper boxes covered with cute fabric too..lord knows I have enough of those around here. You go right ahead. One suggestion, I would measure how far about your studs on the wall are before attaching the hangers. That would have saved me a step or 2

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and I have enough pegboard left over to make another one for my embroidery thread. I might just blog on how to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like my dining room! Except for I also have GS cookies (I'm cookie mom/troop leader) along w/other paperwork for GS, some leftover Christmas wrapping stuff - bc that is where I wrapped, some receipts, a few toy "army men" are under the table. I'm tired of the clutter, but especially my husband - he likes everything to be neat/clean and the poor kids can't have friends over if it is too cluttering in the house. Your same inspiration locations have also inspired me! Working on tackling that clutter!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete